Paint on Port
Port Washington Main Street, in collaboration with the City of Port Washington, is launching a three-year mural program to bring 10+ murals to our city over the next three years. Port Washington has a rich art history, and we are excited to use public art to add vibrancy to our downtown and our city while paying homage to its history and character.
CALL FOR ARTISTS
We are looking for muralists to add a “pop” of color to our harbor city through the Paint on Port (POP) Mural Program. If you are interested, learn more in our Call for Artists.
For 2023 Murals:
- Deadline to confirm intent to apply is April 20
- Deadline for proposal submission is May 21
- Painting will take place August 25-September 1, 2023
We have an aggressive timeline and are working diligently to secure financial commitments to support this program with the first phase murals to be completed in late Summer 2023. To supplement seed money provided by the City of Port, we are fundraising to support additional costs for the program and the artists.
These funding needs include:
- Professional artist fees
- Wall preparation and mural maintenance
- Development of a mural walk
- Artist travel, lodging & meal stipends
- Mural plaques
Volunteers will also be needed during our summer paint week(s) when the artists will be painting the murals.
Some volunteer opportunities include:
- Transporting artist to and from airport and lodging
- Driving artist to paint supply store
- Wall prep/wall priming
- Helping paint parts of mural under artist direction
- Supporting artists on paint days to get supplies, meals or water
- Set up and clean up
- Celebratory event at the end of Paint Week
Home to the Midwest Mural
POP Mural Program
Port Washington has been chosen as the location for the Mural Mosaic Global Roots Project America Connects Midwest Regional Mural! Port Washington will represent the 11 states comprising the Midwest region in this global art project, whose aim is to re-connect people throughout art across the globe. Port Washington Main Street, as a non-profit organization working in economic development for the historic downtown, received the mural as a donation.
Read the press release from Mural Mosaic
Learn more about Mural Mosaic and their Global Roots Project
Contact POP Project Manager Eileen Grace with questions.
For media contacts, please contact Port Washington Main Street Executive Director Kristina Tadeo.